WRITING YOUR DESIGN BRIEF
Project description: [eg new corporate ID including stationery, advertising literature, point-of-sale material, in-house magazine etc].
- What does your organisation do?
- How long have you been established; how many staff do you employ?
- What is your niche market?
- How do you fit into your industry sector?
- What do you want to achieve with this project? [eg generate sales, encourage enquiries, glean information etc].
If you are struggling here, then the whole exercise has already achieved one purpose – to clarify your thoughts and help find flaws in what you'd thought was a solid idea.
Your target audience
- Who are your primary and secondary audience – demographics, age etc?
- What do they already believe about your company?
- What do you want them to learn about you through this project?
Your budget and timescales
- Rough budget expectation; maximum budget available.
- Essential timescales to be met [eg dates of trade fairs, publications etc.]
Collect some examples of what you consider to be effective or relevant design – yours or another company's marketing materials, for example. Also what you don't like.
Starting points in terms of:
- quantity and quality of text
- general 'look and feel'.